When you’re selling your house, it’s all about appearance.
To sell your home, especially for the price you want, you need to make your house desirable to a buyer who doesn’t want to make expensive repairs and wants a home that works well. Placing a window box full of flowers below an old, drafty, sticky window is a start, but let’s face it, it’s a temporary solution.
It is possible to entice potential buyers to slow down their drive past your home and perhaps schedule a showing, but keeping them engaged takes effort and an eye for marketing.
So, what are some things you can do to enhance marketability?
- Clean everything; put away the clothes draped over your bedroom furniture. Think homey but minimalist!
- Paint over that glowing pink wall in your daughter’s room.
- Straighten the clutter in your kitchen and make the bathrooms look like they belong in the Plaza Hotel.
- Ensure the utilities work well, the floors are immaculate, and your window panes are spotless.
- Clean the yard of “junk” and things your buyer isn’t going to want; bicycles turned over with the kickstand up in the air, the lawnmower that’s out of the garage, beer cans that landed in your corner lot after the Friday night game.
- Mow the lawn frequently and upgrade your landscaping if needed.
- Spruce up your driveway, sidewalks, and other hardscapes with a pressure wash.
- Add some flowers or shrubs to dress up the front of your house.
- Maybe even add a couple of hardscapes: a small fountain, a garden path, a bench.
Inside and Outside – New Windows
And then there’s the matter of the windows. Ask yourself the following:
- Are they easily operable, or are they painted shut?
- Do they rattle in the frame and promise drafts and leaks in stormy weather?
- Are there telltale water stains on the wall below?
If the condition of your windows will affect the price people are willing to pay for your home, it’s worth some thought. Is it worth the investment?
The good news is that Mr. Windows has a wide selection to make your decisions easier.
Things to Know About New Windows
If you replace several windows, the return on investment (ROI) will vary depending on what type of window and style you choose. Although you probably won’t get 100 percent of your money back, there are a few things to consider:
- Buyers look for a well-maintained home and are more likely to meet your asking price if the windows are well-maintained.
- If the windows are in poor condition, a buyer will consider the whole property to be in poor condition.
- Some buyers are already paying a lot for a home and don’t want further investments or hassle.
- Consumers are concerned with the impact of poorly-fitting and drafty windows on utility bills and storm protection, as well as post-sale costs.
- Will your windows pass a home inspection? Buyers will likely ask for one.
How Can New Windows Improve Your Home’s Value to Potential Buyers?
- Replacement windows can increase security. Do all your current windows lock? How easily could a stranger enter your home? Windows with good locks and double or triple panes are more secure. Likewise, in case of an emergency, you should be able to exit those critical windows.
- New windows can make a massive difference if your home is near a busy street, an airport, a military aviation base, or even train tracks. Replacement windows can reduce outside noise. Double or triple panes could be a great drawing card for a buyer.
- You’re in Houston, TX, home to tropical storms and hurricanes. Depending on your location, hurricane-impact windows can make your home a best seller.
- Replacement windows are more energy-efficient.
Energy-efficient windows are attractive to buyers due to their energy efficiency and the fact they can save money. Aluminum is not your best choice for energy efficiency. Wood and vinyl are better protectors against air leaks.
- Replacement windows look better, especially when they fit the style of your home. Traditional homes usually have double-hung windows, while many modern-style homes use casement windows. Some large single pane windows now look old-fashioned. Updating your home with windows that provide better ventilation and energy efficiency makes sense. A good replacement window company can help you design windows that meet your needs and look good.
- Updated windows may bring more light into the rooms and make everything look cheerier. With energy-efficient features, you’ll get more light but fewer UV rays that tend to damage furniture and carpeting.
How New Windows Can Help Your Home Sell
A home with new and improved windows can sell faster and command a higher price. You’ll also have a move-in ready property and one that potential buyers can be proud of when they move in if you aim to boost the marketability of your home.
Perhaps one of the reasons homeowners don’t take this critical step is because it seems like a lot to handle. How do you know which company is the right company? How do you know who to trust?
All are good questions, and you are right to ask. Wise homeowners do their homework before making any significant changes or investments.
Mr. Windows of Houston also understands that you need a company that will treat your home with the same care they would put into their own home, starting with estimates, the search for the right windows, and of course, quality.
You won’t find Mr. Windows trying to sell you something you don’t want – only something that will make you happy you made that call. Let’s leave it here – give us a call. We are a family-owned business with a customer-focused approach. Because we treat our customers like family, you can leave it to us.